Thursday, December 19, 2013

Best Holiday Dressing

(Printable Recipe)
My mom always said, "If you don't have celery and sage, don't make dressing." This has plenty of both and proves her point. I've made this more times than I can count and it's always been a favorite at Christmas and Thanksgiving feasts. Both bready ingredients are easily made on the spot (or even several days ahead since stale bread works wonderfully in a dressing). And both are "cheater" breads although if you'd prefer to make from scratch, have at it. I toast your virtuous nature.

Here I have baked one can of southern style biscuits and two boxes of Jiffy cornbread. I prefer Jiffy because a sweet cornbread enhances the natural sweetness of the pecans and balances beautifully with the savory sage and vegetables. Crumble both into a large baking dish at least 9x13. I've used one size larger, please don't ask me to go measure it.
Add a large onion and 2 or 3 ribs of celery, chopped. 
And be liberal with that sage. I mean throw in 3 or 4 palms full. If it doesn't smell fragrant, stop now and go buy a new bottle. I realize a whole year can slip by without breaking out the sage and it bottled herbs just don't live forever.
I've added a heaping cupful of whole pecans and most of a stick of butter cut into small pieces and scattered over the top. Lastly, pour on a full quart of chicken stock. It should be very wet, almost swimming in the stock. Add more until you can see liquid within 1/4 inch of the top of the dry ingredients. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or even an hour, until the top is browned and slightly crunchy but the inside is moist. The final dressing will be loaded with flavors, herb fragrant, and nutty delicious!

Fall Fest finishes out this week with these other delicious ideas for Holiday   sides. But check back in two weeks as we begin to blog together for Comfort Food Feast.   Have a wonderful holiday season!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...